Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Doctor's Response and a Planned Disclosure

I got my first response to my outreach letters a few days ago. From the head of urology at a hospital that treats children, and they are "ramping up" their expertise and services to children with DSD, so he said my letter came at the perfect time!

I am really looking forward to getting contacted the next time they have a patient or family who would like some peer support.

As for the amazing guy I mentioned a few posts previously - he and I have had three "dates" thus far and the next one is scheduled for Sunday. It has been nearly impossible to see each other given my being out of town for work, his being out of town for vacation, and even more trips planned coming up. Aside from that though, I am sensing a slowness on his part. And we are both really patiently and deliberately getting to know one another without rushing anything. I like this approach. A lot.

This guy is really unlike anyone I think I've ever met, and I find myself really treasuring our conversations. There has been absolutely zero physical contact, but due to the nature of our conversations and some email exchanges, I feel in some ways more intimate with him than I have felt with anyone for a very long time.

In this case I've chosen a somewhat phased approach to disclosure of having AIS.

On our third date, my being infertile came up. I had broached the subject in an earlier email where we discussed the pivotal "events" in our lives that had shaped us. He has shared some very heavy stuff with me already, so on date #3 I related the story of my surgery at 17 and the events leading up to it. He now knows exactly what I knew up until 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. I told him there was more to the story, but that I'd have to save the rest for another time given how short our last date had to be.

On Sunday most likely, I'll bring up the AIS. I'm half nervous. And half strangely not. If everything I've interpeted about this guy's character is true, it will be no big deal, and he will respect me more for having shared it with him, and for the positive things I have done with my new-found knowledge.

And if not? Well, I'll cross that bridge then.

His reaction to the infertility issue was surprise that it had really ever bugged anyone else, and reassurance that this wasn't an issue for him. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for an equally positive reaction to the next big "event" in my life where I learned the full truth of my diagnosis.

I'll keep you updated. Send good vibes.

No comments:

Post a Comment